Here are the final results:
1st - 25%
- Violence is out-of-control in Mexico
- Ingrid Betancourt and fourteen other hostages are rescued
- Regional economic growth slowed by the global financial crisis
- Fernando Lugo is elected to the Paraguayan presidency
- Argentine farmers strike against the government.
- Authorities turn the screw on Puerto Rican "macheteros”
- China strengthens ties to Latin America.
- Honduras, Bolivia, Venezuela, and the U.S. are in a diplomatic spat
- Junot Diaz wins the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction
- Broadway audiences love “In the Heights”
- Electoral fraud alleged in Nicaragua.
- Haiti’s poverty (somehow) worsens.
- Immigration is an ignored topic during presidential campaigns.
- Latino voters pivotal during U.S. elections
- Leaders debate pros and cons of free trade
- No significant changes in Cuba under Raul Castro.
- Raul Reyes killed across the border in Ecuador
- Russia’s president tours several Latin American countries
- Unrest does not stop in Bolivia.
Image- Time (Mexico’s rampant and seemingly never-ending violence was cited by blog readers as the top news story of 2008)